Friday 30 May 2014

Brushes, and pressure and potty trainging...Oh my!




During a therapy visit not to long ago we were given a tool that helps with hitting the feelers. This lovely device is called the Therapressure brush. It is, Ill admit, pretty cool.

This brush contains very fine, and soft to the touch, bristles that are great for kids who have sensory needs. He likes it and it keeps him calm before the process of bed or nap time.

We received this brush as part of a sensory diet package my boy is supposed to be on. When he uses the brush you can see something amazing happen. He smiles, is real gentle with it, and really takes in everything he is experiencing. It's great. If you apply a little bit of pressure it feels like a great soft and gentle massage. He absolutely loves it.






That being said there are only certain times of the day when he wants it and that's right before nap and bed. Now, my son is supposed to be on a sensory diet and sometimes the diet works and we manage to say on top of it and then other days life happens and he gets a good dose of his sensory toys later in the day. I will say it's great in calming him but it is not something that will replace his other sensory needs. Like flapping. He loves flags and seeing things flap, but, for him,  his Therapressure brush won't sate that need. So, if you are thinking of adding it to the routine just know that in my experience it does not replace the other sensory needs. It will help, but doesn't take away those other important sensory needs.  

Links for sensory brushes posted in the post script area of this blog. :-)

Anyway, I find that if my son isn't convinced it's something worth trying he won't, but because good old Mom tried it he was able to and I must say it was relaxing for me to try it with him and walk him through how to use it. Now he is an old pro and will seek out his brush himself.

Another sensory need of my little man's is pressure. I say this, but I should specify that he likes pressure only on his hands and feet and only when falling asleep, If you have a child like this good news...I think I have come up with and awesome pillow that can help. More details and a pattern to come later in June.

Pressure is something that kinda makes me nervous and a little paranoid. How much pressure can I apply to my kids hands and feet? What about things that are weighted...etc. etc. etc. Well we tried the weighted blanket and he asked for that thing to be removed quicker than you can say it, and once it was removed he said, "No. No blanket. No blanket baby." Then spent the rest of that hour repeating those words. It certainly was not a favorite. This has become ritual, applying pressure to his hands and feet happens every night. He will not go to sleep with out that pressure. If he doesn't get that pressure to his hands and feet he has a super hard time calming, never mind sleeping. Anyway, like I said, I have a wicked cool idea for a pillow that can apply that kind of pressure...hopefully it works...stay tuned for more details on that.

And last but not least we come to the dreaded potty training bit of the blog. Lets just say we are still in the beginning phases of potty training and they are not easy. My son has the added bonus of gluten intolerance as well as being lactose intolerant. It makes for some interesting days. We don't have to many accidents but when they happen they happen big. So, I've had to get a little bit more creative when it comes to the being prepared. Here are three tips to keep you ahead of the accidents....

1. Belts. I don't know about you but when my son has an accidents it is usually because the little general has come out to play. If you're kid will wear a belt go ahead and try it. Putting a belt on them will ensure that they don't mess around and pull stuff out that they're not supposed to.

2. Don't ask...INSIST. I try not to ask my son if a potty break is necessary before we leave to go somewhere...I INSIST. Meaning that I take the time to fight him to get him to go to the bathroom because I know giving him the option means he'going to say "No, no potty baby."

3. Always check them regularly, and change accordingly.

Now, this list is for those whose kids are still in the trainers mode. But if you follow these rules along with you're potty training rules you won't have too much of a messy golden/brown experience.  Take it from the Queens of preventing accidents.

Anyway as I write this I can feel the sandman throwing bricks of sand at me saying, "What the hell I worked hard to get those kids of your's to sleep so that you could sleep. Don't waste my sand."

So, I better hit the hay quickly before a kid wakes and sleep deprivation kicks in. As always thanks for reading. Don't forget to follow us on Facebook at, https://www.facebook.com/FindingK and twitter at, https://twitter.com/FindingK2010 .

With Gratitude,
Amber Jones

P.S. Links to where you can find the Therapressure Brush and a less expensive sensory brush. Enjoy!!

http://www.amazon.ca/s?ie=UTF8&field-keywords=Therapressure&index=kitchen&search-type=ss

http://www.nationalautismresources.com/sensory-brush.html

No comments:

Post a Comment