Friday 13 June 2014

What do I do if my autistic kid gets lost?

This is something we haven't dealt with yet, and pray we never do. I am so paranoid about him wondering off that if I don't have someone with me when I have both kids out and about he goes into our stroller that has a little bench I can strap him too.

I'm pretty sure he would know he is lost but I never want to find out if he knows or not. Ugh. Makes my stomach turn just thinking about it. But as much as I take precaution it doesn't hurt to take precautions for finding him if he does wander off. People have medical tags and I like those but in my house if it's small enough to get lost....well...it does.  Plus getting him to wear it might not be such an easy task.

So, what can you do? While networking on the infamous twitter I found a family that has a great solution for if your child wanders off.  It's called the QR Code ID. This is so cool. They are from the "If i Need Help" Non-for-Profit Organization out of Santa Clara, California. Here's what it is....


So, how this works is you sign up for free on the page. Enter information that is pertinent if your child wonders off, post a picture of your kid and add additional content in the additional content area of things like, medical needs, other relatives that can be called in case of emergencies, etc. etc. etc. Once your finished you can view what the information will look like once your code has been scanned.

QR Codes can be read quickly by any smartphone. QR reader Apps can be downloaded for free from App stores. 

Anyway, if the child gets lost and they have one of these patches on their clothing, the patch is then scanned by the person that found them. The information will appear on their phone or whatever device they are using, and bam parents are contacted, kid is reunited with them, and everyone recovers from their heart attacks. 

So awesome! Mine is in the mail and I can't wait to get it! 

Anyway for more info on this cool product click the link:


Go check it out. 

As always thanks for reading. 

With Gratitude and Love,
Amber Jones




No comments:

Post a Comment